Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Visiting with childhood friends bring perspective!

Social networking on line can rekindle friendships, over coffee.... and bring new hope to your life.

We enjoyed Tully's coffee in Tacoma, WA.

My friend and I found each other online and "friend-ed" each other.  Her profile picture was always of her eyes, which have always seem to penetrate my soul.  Years pass with hardly a word, then she was "on-line" and I messaged her, thanking her for our childhood friendship, and less then a week later we are drinking coffee at Tully's in my home town. 

Sometimes reflecting where you have been can help us along life's path.  Recently a childhood friendship was rekindled, and the outcome was life changing.  Interestingly, people always remember things from their own perspective, and getting a different perspective can help "center" us in the chaotic world we live in.  Funny, I always felt misunderstood and a misfit in my own skin.  Meeting up with someone who knew me in my youth recharged my spirit. 

We both ended up having similar health issues, relationships and oddly enough retained the same outlook at life.  The six hours we spent went beyond reminiscing, we quickly found so much in common that I nearly missed my train back home!   We picked up as if the twenty years had never passed, astonished at what we had gone through and delighted that we once found our friendship still intact.  "Well, isn't that what you always wanted to do?" response to my heartfelt desire to be a writer seemed to stop the earth from turning.  Wide eyed and more than a little startled to find understanding, love, and friendship staring back at me.

To have friends, one must first be a friend.  - from someone smarter than me.

Strange how time creates a distance between friends, but it does not change the starting point.  Looking back to see where you have been can clarify where you are going.  We decided to make every effort to have coffee frequently.

1 comment:

  1. It is not often you find friends online that soon become one of your friends. Sometimes online friends are way better than friends you've known for a long time. Well, some if not all. I'm sorry to hear about the issues both of you girls are dealing. I hope everything goes well to you! Thank you for reading my blog posts. I appreciate it!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete